Day 30 - The Luxembourg Bimble

Monday 8th August 2016

I've decided to stay a second night at the High Chapparal. I want to explore a few more of the lovely roads here in Luxembourg and also don't want to miss out on the magnificent spare ribs that Ed serves in his bar.

Early morning on the banks of the Sûre

The morning dawns bright and clear. There are a lot of other campers on the banks of the Sûre, many of them bikers with a distinct predominance of Harley Davidsons. Most of them are from the Netherlands.
The octagonal church

I walk over the footbridge and past the unusual octagonal church on the high ground above the HC building. After a breakfast of fried eggs, ham and cheese on bread on the terrace I remove the luggage from the bike and set off for a day in the hills of Luxembourg.

The roads around here are perfect. I don't see a single pothole or broken surface all day. Even the back roads and farm tracks are perfect ribbons of new looking tarmac with neatly defined edges and white lining down the sides.
No one at home at the Hotel Huberty

I head over to Kautenbach to say hello to Rudi and Birdy at the Hotel Huberty where I have often stayed as I pass through this country. But the hotel is closed and there is no sign of them so I continue on up and down the hills and wooded valleys of Luxembourg.

In and out of Germany
I loop in and out of Germany following the eastern part of the circular tour I have planned out on the satnav. There are a few castles en route and at one I find a memorial in honour of the American soldiers who liberated the Luxembourgeois from the Nazis in 1944.

Finally I complete the circle and wind down the final few hairpins back to the High Chapparal. It's still a lovely day as evening approaches. There are a few  anglers trying their luck in the river, and some children are building a small dam down by the ford.
When I walk back over to the bar I see Ed's chop out on display in the evening sunshine. Then it is an evening of Erdinger Weizenbier and a plate of the best ribs in Europe.

Oh look a castle

I get my head down early. My brother-in-law Phil has been in touch and tells me he is currently in Alkmaar, a town not far north of Amsterdam, on his boat. I've decided to go up there and spend my last night of this tour with Phil on the Akaroa. It's a long way so I need to be up and away in good time.

And another
Back to the High Chapparal

Ed's chop


The man himself - proprietor Ed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 20 - Riding Solo

Day 18 - Plans Start to Come Together

Day 22 - A Wet Day in the Alps