Day 27 - Ruhetag for Dave

Friday 5th August 2016

The promised storms arrived on schedule at 11pm last night. I sleep through the worst of it but when I wake up during the night I can hear the rain lashing down on the dormer window in the roof of my room. 
In the morning there is no letup. Rain in the Alps really has a purpose and that is to turn the streets into small rivers and the streams into torrents. It doesn't come in windswept waves , it comes down straight and heavy and unrelenting.
My room at the Berghotel Sonne

As is quite typical in Tyrollean hotels the breakfast in the Berghotel Somme is magnificent. There are 7 or 8 different types of bread, crusty rolls, soft white, granary and German black bread all freshly baked.
There are 11 different cold cuts of meat (I counted) and half a dozen different jams and preserves. Masses of fruit, a fruit salad dish, three different yoghurts, honey, boiled eggs and 6 cheeses.
The coffee is excellent. As an alternative there are a dozen different types of tea and a samovar of boiling water to make your own particular brew.
And I didn't even mention the cereals and mueslis. I'm going nowhere today so I while away a couple of hours in the breakfast room and take on enough calories to keep me going all day.

A wet day in Partenen

Soon after noon there is a little respite from the heavy stair rods of rain beating down. Now it is only a gentle shower for an hour or so, and so I borrow an umbrella and venture out into the village to take a few photos and visit the local shop.
Here I buy some bread, sausage and cheese for the days ahead and also a bar of Swiss chocolate and a half-litre bottle of a local speciality schnapps, Willi Honig, liquor made from the Williams pear flavoured with honey.

That onion church again

I repair to my room and get down to filling in the last few days of the blog. The wifi here is excellent and after a few hours I am caught up to date and have published several new episodes.
The weather is improving slightly, with occasional breaks in the cloud allowing a watery sun to filter through into the evening mist.




Beer and blogging

The Willi Honig is going down well and after snacking on my supplies I really don't fancy another big dinner. So I fire up the iPad and load up Netflix. I am way behind on "The Good Wife" (a truly excellent series) so five episodes later I am ready to drop off to sleep. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 20 - Riding Solo

Day 18 - Plans Start to Come Together

Day 22 - A Wet Day in the Alps