Day 28 - Into Deutschland

Saturday 6th August 2016

Back on the road
The sun has returned next morning. I am in no great hurry so I have another good breakfast in the Berghotel Sonne before setting off for a last ride through the Alps down to the Bodensee (Lake Constance) and Germany beyond. B&B cost just €45 per night. A bargain.

It's important to avoid the Austrian autobahnen as I do not want to buy a vignette for only a few miles of travel before I reach the free German motorways.
My route takes me via Bregenz and the eastern edge of the Bodensee/Lake Constance and onto the German autobahnen to Ulm. There are numerous sections of road works and traffic jams. And after a few hours I am glad to get off onto the Bundestrasse to Schwarbisch Gmund and up to Campingplatz Schurrenhof.

 
My pitch at Campingplatz Schurrenhof

I think I may have made a serious mistake coming to this place as the chef appears from the restaurant in a full transvestite getup dressed as a Bavarian bierkeller serving wench. The beard is a bit of a giveaway though so I reckon it must be a man.

Wtf

As I set up my tent an old fellow strolls over and hands me a "good German beer". This is Henry, a lovely guy who has come to greet the Englischer.

He explains that tonight the camp will host their annual Grillfest, a meat feast with lashings of beer. It's another serendipitous moment. 

I am invited to sit with Henry and his family and enjoy a great evening. A trio of lederhosen clad musicians start to play traditional Bavarian/Tyrollean oompah band music on an accordion, guitar and an extraordinary percussion stick with bells, cymbals, various clackers and little drums attached.

 
Invited to join Henry and his family


As far as I can see you just bash the stick up and down on the floor and hit it occasionally with sticks.
It's a tired and emotional Englischer who staggers off to bed as the midnight hour approaches.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 20 - Riding Solo

Day 6 - Over the Pyrenees into France

Day 3 - Wriggling through the Picos